About Junior Golf
Read the latest news from Cheshire Junior Golf.
Junior Committee Chairman: Ray Simm
Boys Team Managers: Mike Jones & John Slater
Boys Team Captain: James Newton (Prestbury GC)
A Few Facts
- Every year, a team of 8 players from Cheshire competes against Lancashire, Nottinghamshire and a combined team from Shropshire and Herefordshire in the ‘’round-robin’’ Four Counties Junior Tournament Cheshire have a record number of victories in the event and travel to West Lancashire GC on the 3rd and 4th April for this year’s event. Spectators are most welcome.
- A combined Cheshire Boys and Girls Team will play for the Matthew Brown Cup against their respective counterparts from the Balearics at the Son Parc GC in Menorca. The match will take place in October 2012 on a date to be confirmed.
The County plays full Boys matches (up to 18 years old) against Lancashire, Yorkshire, North Wales and Bromborough Golf Club. Additionally, there are mixed-age matches against Derbyshire, Lancashire and Staffordshire together with an annual match against Cheshire Girls
Each year the County is holding a Junior Club Team Championship. This year it is to be played at Stockport GC on Friday 8th June
James Newton (Prestbury GC) was County Boys Champion
Cameron Massey (Chorlton cum Hardy) was U16 Champion
Jack Duncalf (Sandiway GC) was U14 Champion.
Alsager GC – Junior Club Team Champions
The Sandfield Driving Range Assessment sessions took place from the 7th – 14th November 2011. 95 boys were invited to take part with a number (43) being offered further coaching (3x2 hour sessions)from the county coaches – Alan Thompson, Peter Barber, Scott Booth and Robin Thompson. The following boys have been selected to receive EG sponsored coaching in the North West England Region: Jack Duncalf (Sandiway GC), Matthew Myers (Portal GC), Rhys Nevin-Wharton (Sandiway GC), Joseph Nono (Ringway GC), Lewis George (Delamere Forest GC) and Matthew Jordan (Royal Liverpool GC)
- James Newton retained his place in the England Boys squad for 2012.
Details of all 2012 Cheshire Boys County fixtures together with all principal County Boys and Junior Championships are available on the Fixtures page
In 2012, there are approximately 20 Club Junior Opens notified to Cheshire in addition to the Hoylake Schools Tournament played at Royal Liverpool in the Autumn
- To identify boys of all ages with golfing potential at the earliest opportunity
- To make them known to their Club and the County
- To facilitate coaching using their Club Professional and/or the County coaching Professionals. County and EGU coaching grants are available to Clubs (for information, contact the County Secretary)
- To improve networking between the Clubs and the County at Junior level
- To organise County matches and competitions